Are you looking for a delicious way to start your day? We’ve all been hearing about the ketogenic diet and how it can be beneficial to our health, but not everyone gets the right information about the keto diet. We’ve created this blog to help you understand the benefits of the keto diet, and to give you all the information you need about the keto diet so that you can make an informed decision on whether the keto diet is for you.
If you have been following my blog for some time now then you are aware of my LOVE for low carb diets. I am a true believer in the Ketogenic diet and I am also a HUGE fan of the hemp seed. You can read more about that in my last post called The Health Benefits of Hemp and here. I am going to tell you about my latest recipe for Keto Oatmeal and how I make it. All you have to do is mix one cup of hemp seed with 1/2 cup of water and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. The next day I mix 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of hemp seed with 1 tsp of Monk Fruit. I cook this
You’ve heard of the ketogenic diet, and you may have tried the keto diet as an experiment. The diet works by restricting carbohydrate intake and about 90% of the time, your body will hate you for it. (There are some exceptions, like for athletes who undergo extreme training regimens.) The problem is, it’s hard to follow the keto diet because you’re only allowed to eat a small amount of carbohydrates and there are lots of foods that taste good.
Oatmeal that is keto. Doesn’t that sound like a bit of an oxymoron? That is no longer the case, as we now have a variety of varieties of keto oatmeal made with hemp hearts! The world is your oyster after you’ve mastered this simple low-carb oatmeal recipe. You can experiment with various taste combinations to see what works best for you. We went ahead and created our own seven tastes. We’ll tell you what worked, what could be better, and what was a complete disaster. Fortunately, there weren’t too many mishaps! We created a movie as well as a taste test to chronicle all seven varieties we tried. Take a look!
Benefits of Hemp Hearts
If you’re not familiar with hemp seeds don’t worry! We had only used them a handful of times before getting in depth with them and testing out all these different combinations. They’re super easy to use! Before we get down and dirty with all of the amazing flavor and ingredient combos we tested, lets cover the proven health benefits of hemp seeds.
Where Can I Purchase Hemp Hearts?
Your text will be rewritten by QuillBot. Start by typing or pasting something into this box, then hit the enter key.
- Amazon: Nutiva Hemp Seeds This is most likely your best choice. It’s the best deal you’ll find, especially if you’re a prime member and choose for “subscribe and save.”
- Trader Joe’s Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds: Stop by a Trader Joe’s if you’re near one and pick up an 8oz bag of hemp seeds. Perfect for dipping your toe into the keto oatmeal waters if you’re not sure if you’ll like them. The majority of Amazon’s 16oz packages are available.
- Just Hemp Foods – Amazon: If you’re seeking to buy a large quantity, this is a great deal. As is customary, the lower the price, the more you buy. If you enjoy hemp seeds, “Just Hemp Foods” also sells a variety of other hemp goods. In the future, I’m considering tying a couple more of their offerings.
Ingredients in Oatmeal Keto
Let’s go over the things you’ll need in your cupboard if you want to become a master of keto oatmeal. There are a few must-haves and a slew of optional extras. First, let’s go over the essentials in detail:
Keto Food List (FREE PRINTABLE)
Join 150,000 others who have already gotten a FREE keto food list and new recipes every week!
- Hemp Hearts — Hemp hearts are a must-have ingredient when preparing keto oatmeal.
- Chia Seeds — While not absolutely necessary, chia seeds make the final dish sweeter and more pudding-like. They’re fantastic when combined with almond milk. If you use a thicker liquid like coconut milk or heavy cream, chia seeds aren’t required. Chia seeds have a variety of established advantages, including lowering the incidence of type 2 diabetes and aiding with consistency.
- Full Fat Coconut Milk — This isn’t an absolute necessity, but it will yield the greatest taste keto oatmeal, especially if you like coconut. There are a few different liquid options you may use in your keto oatmeal, but this one takes the cake!
Nice To Have’s
- Shredded Coconut — Gives your oats a lovely texture and flavor. If you don’t like coconut, you can easily leave it out.
- Stevia Drops — Your keto oatmeal will taste more like grandpa’s oatmeal if you don’t add any sweetness. Sure, your grandfather can have his old-fashioned oats and hot water every morning, but if you want a little sweetness in your life, liquid stevia is your best bet in this recipe. A drop or two will enough!
- Heavy Cream — This is a close second to coconut milk in terms of popularity. They have similar consistency and will give you a mousse-like texture. If you’re not a fan of coconut, this could be a decent alternative.
Ingredients that are optional
- If you’re attempting to cut calories, almond milk or any other form of milk substitute is an excellent choice. Regrettably, they also limit flavor to a minimum… If you add chia seeds and more sweetness to an almond milk keto oatmeal, it can be extremely good, but in our family, it’s a distant third option behind coconut milk and heavy cream.
- Protein Powder — If you want to make BROats (described below), add some protein powder to your oats. You can use veggie protein instead of dairy protein if you want to keep these dairy-free. You may even use hemp protein if you want to go all out! Of course, you’ll need to grow dreadlocks and wear a Bob Marley shirt to pull it off, but it could be worth it.
- The magic happens in the Add-Ins section. You can essentially chuck anything in there and it will almost certainly turn out wonderful. Experiment with different taste combinations until you find one that you like. That’s exactly what we did! We’ll go over our findings in more depth below.
Recipe Testing for Low-Carb Oatmeal
The most enjoyable aspect of developing our recipes is the process of trial and error. It’s so much fun that I encourage you to try some of your own. If you start preparing keto oatmeal and come up with some excellent flavor combinations, please let us know in the comments so we can try them. We enjoy putting your creations to the test and tasting them! But now it’s time to get down to business. What works and what doesn’t are as follows:
The keto oatmeal we tried in the video at the beginning of this blog post is summarized below. The recipes provided at the bottom of this post are not the same as the ones given in the section below. The recipes at the bottom have been fine-tuned depending on what we discovered during the testing process outlined below.
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Flavor – This one is delicious! We love pumpkin pie, so if you share our sentiments, this is the recipe for you. The pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and a few drops of stevia are the ingredients that give this its distinct flavor.
Consistency – This one’s consistency was clearly lacking. This one came out thin and watery, which isn’t what we want in our keto oatmeal. In the official recipe, we’ve improved it.
–What We Learned–Chia seeds are a requirement if almond milk is utilized.
Almond Joy Oatmeal
Incredible flavor! This is one of the rare times we got it right on the first try. When you combine a bunch of great stuff, I suppose it’s quite simple. This flavor reminds me of an almond delight!
Consistency – Determined, but in a positive way. This one had a lot of consistency, which I liked. While it wasn’t the same as regular oatmeal, it was a tasty, compact combination of ingredients.
–What We Learned–If you use a lot of add-ins, coconut milk will have a firm consistency.
Double Chocolate Oatmeal
Kaboom! – Flavor! If you like dark chocolate, this is the one for you. The cocoa powder and Lily’s chocolate chips give it a strong dark chocolate flavor. It’s highly recommended that you finish this the next day with some sea salt!
The chia seeds in this recipe helped achieve a mousse consistency, which was fantastic! This would have been considerably more dense without the chia seeds and thanks to the heavy cream used.
–What We Discovered–Even a small amount of liquid chia seeds can assist in achieving a decent consistency.
Maple Walnut Oatmeal
Flavor – This one has a great flavor. It’s not that good flavor is difficult to achieve; it’s getting the consistency down that’s the challenge. One of our favorite flavor combinations of the lot was maple walnut.
Consistency — This one had a lot of inconsistency. Because it was too thin to eat with a spoon, we had to resort to drinking half of it.
–What We Learned–Chia seeds are required even with small amounts of almond milk, otherwise the oatmeal would be too thin.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal
It’s peanut butter, after all… Of course, it tastes fantastic. The fact that only 1 tablespoon went a long way was a pleasant surprise. Overnight, the peanut butter flavor permeated every bite of this keto porridge.
Almost perfect consistency! Chia seeds and natural peanut butter gave the final result just the proper amount of thickness. Peanut butter appeared just as we were about to give up on almond milk.
–What We Discovered–Almond milk may be thickened by adding the appropriate amount of chia seeds and other thickening additives.
Flavor – I suppose there’s a need for some explanation here. BROats are oatmeal that is specifically tailored to the demands of “bros.” That’s why this one has a lot of protein powder in it. The flavor was fantastic! It all depends on the protein powder you use, as that is the main taste source in this recipe.
This was the most consistent of the bunch! The protein, chia seeds, and heavy whipping cream all worked together to create a thick and creamy texture.
–What We Learned–A pudding-like consistency is achieved by combining heavy cream and chia seeds.
Turmeric Vanilla Oatmeal
Flavor – This was the group’s lightning rod flavor. It was alright in my opinion, but Megha despised it. If you like turmeric, you should try this recipe. If you aren’t, then flee as quickly as you can.
Consistency — I usually prefer a thicker consistency, but this one went a little too far in that direction. The chia seeds and coconut milk combined to make a rock solid consistency. Although this can be readily remedied by adding more liquid, the lesson has been learned.
–What We Discovered–Coconut milk and chia seeds provide an extremely thick texture.
These are overnight oats, which we haven’t addressed before. It’s not necessary to leave these in the fridge overnight, but at the very least give them a few hours to allow the flavors to meld. We usually prepare a batch of 5-10 cookies at a time and keep them in the fridge until we’re ready to eat them. It’s really just a matter of being careful with the ingredients you use because the shelf life will be determined by them. When compared to coconut milk or almond milk, heavy cream has a slightly shorter shelf life.
Storage of Porridge
It can be difficult to store these delectable mixtures. The amazing mason jars featured in the photos are available on Amazon and are really useful. My recommendation is to start with a few test batches. They can be kept in almost any container. It’s best to use something with a lid so that the flavors from your fridge don’t go into your tasty keto porridge. You can buy those jars once you’ve decided whether or not you like keto oatmeal. Those jars are an excellent size for this purpose, in my opinion. Depending on the ingredients you select, filling one of those jars with tasty keto oats will range from 200 to 600 calories. The point is that the larger mason jars are only necessary if you plan on filling them with broats and performing barbell curls in the squat rack.
The Never-Ending Struggle for Perfection
In our house, this has been a genuinely revolutionary find! We now create these on a regular basis. It’s amazing how convenient, nutritious, tasty, and entertaining these are! There’s nothing like tasting a new batch of keto oatmeal right after it’s been opened. This is the kind of dish you can cook over and over again, tweaking it a little each time until it’s perfect.
If none of these 7 taste combinations appeal to you, develop your own and share it in the comments section! Check out some of our other breakfast recipes that you can make ahead of time and have on hand if you’re in a hurry. We’ve got Keto Muffins and a couple low-carb quiche variants.
Any recipe can be made using heavy whipping cream, coconut milk, or almond. In most cases, you’ll need 75% as much almond milk as coconut milk or heavy cream. Chia seeds should be used whenever almond milk is used to achieve a thicker consistency.
12 hours and 2 minutes total
1 person serving
310 calories per serving
In a bowl or mason jar, combine all of the ingredients. Toss everything together thoroughly.
Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. The next day, open it up and enjoy it!
Per Serving Amount
310 calories 243 calories from fat
daily value in percent*
27g42 percent fat
Carbohydrates make up 62% of the total.
3 g (12 %) fiber
11g22 percent protein
* Percent Daily Values (%DV) are calculated using a 2000-calorie diet.
Keto oatmeal is a type of ketogenic food.
Psst! Did you make this?Tag us on Instagram!We love seeing what you’ve made! Tag us on Instagram at @keto.connect or leave a comment & rating below.
If you’ve been hearing about ketogenic diets recently, chances are that the ketogenic diet is at the top of your list of things to try. Or, you may be looking for a delicious way to get in your daily dose of fats, and one that will also give you a much-needed boost of energy. Either way, you don’t want to miss out on this recipe.. Read more about keto overnight oats peanut butter and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you eat hemp hearts on keto diet?
Yes, you can eat hemp hearts on a keto diet.
Can I eat a bowl of oatmeal on keto?
It is not recommended to eat oatmeal on a ketogenic diet.
Is oatmeal bad for a keto diet?
Oatmeal is not bad for a keto diet.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- keto overnight oats
- keto overnight oats peanut butter
- keto oatmeal overnight
- keto overnight chia oatmeal
- cauliflower overnight oats keto